Frequently Asked Questions

1. What is excess property?

Answer: The Road Commission for Oakland County (RCOC) acquires land for road construction. Excess property is the surplus land remaining after road construction projects have been completed. Upon completion of road construction, RCOC may no longer have a need to retain the surplus land. Excess property may be vacant land or land improved with buildings.

2. Who can buy RCOC property?

Answer: RCOC gives state departments and other units of government first opportunity to purchase our properties at market value. If no state department or local governmental agency is interested, then the property is offered to the general public.

3. How can I buy excess property?

Answer: Excess property may be available for purchase by public auction or direct sale.

4. How are excess property values determined?

Answer: Excess property values are determined by a market appraisal of the property.

5. If I make an offer to purchase excess property, can I negotiate price and terms with RCOC?

Answer: RCOC policy does not provide for negotiating the sale of excess property at less than appraised market value.

6. Will RCOC pay real estate commissions?

Answer: RCOC will not pay real estate commissions.

7. How long does it take to close an excess property sales transaction with the RCOC?

Answer: Closings will take place within 30-60 days of receipt of a bid deposit (down payment) and submission of an application to purchase excess property.

8. Where can I find out more about RCOC excess property?

Answer: Information about RCOC land sales may be accessed at our RCOC owned properties.

Click on the link to sign up for notifications.

Or you can contact us directly at:

Right of Way Division - Excess Properties
Engineering Department
31001 Lahser Road
Beverly Hills, MI 48025
(248) 645-2000 – ext 2207