The Road Commission for Oakland County (RCOC) has opened the Eight Mile Road/Currie Road roundabout on the Lyon Twp./Salem Twp. border. The intersection had been closed since April 18 for roundabout construction.
The Nine Mile Road/Currie Road intersection closed today, Monday, Aug. 8, for roundabout construction. It will be closed through mid-October. During the closure, residential access will be maintained via the Eight Mile Road/Currie Road roundabout.
Currie Road from Eight Mile Road to Nine Mile Road remains closed to through traffic until approximately mid-October for gravel-road paving.
The approximately $4.4 million project is mostly funded with federal road dollars. The remaining cost is being split between RCOC and Lyon Twp., with the Washtenaw County Road Commission contributing to the Eight Mile/Currie roundabout.
The project includes:
- Asphalt paving of Currie Road from Eight Mile Road to Nine Mile Road (it was previously gravel)
- Construction of the single-lane roundabout at the Eight Mile Road/Currie Road intersection
- Construction of a “compact” single-lane roundabout at the Nine Mile Road/Currie Road intersection
- Drainage improvements
- New concrete curbs and gutters
- New signs and pavement markings
The detours for through traffic are:
- Currie Road closure: Seven Mile Road to Napier Road to Ten Mile Road, back to Currie Road and vice versa.
- Nine Mile traffic during the Nine Mile Road/Currie Road intersection closure: Nine Mile Road to Griswold Road to Ten Mile Road to Napier Road, back to Nine Mile Road and vice versa.
The contractor for the project is Iafrate Construction of Warren. Construction completion is expected in mid-October. For more information on the project, visit the Currie Road page in the “Road Projects” section of the RCOC website, www.rcocweb.org (direct link: http://rcocweb.org/529/Currie-Road).