The Road Commission for Oakland County (RCOC) plans to close Maple Road from Inkster Road to Franklin Road in Bloomfield Township to through traffic beginning approximately April 8 through late September for road construction.
Access to homes and businesses along this section of Maple Road will be maintained during the work. Maple Road will fully close east of Norham Road for culvert removal and replacement.
The detour for through traffic is Inkster Road to Walnut Lake Road to Franklin Road, back to Maple Road and vice versa.
The $4.55 million project is funded mostly with federal funds with remaining costs shared by Bloomfield Township, RCOC and Oakland County general government (through the Tri-Party Program).
The project includes:
- Remove and replace asphalt.
- Addition of a center, left-turn lane from Inkster Road to east of Norham Road.
- Extension of the pathway (funded by the township) on the north side of Maple Road from Inkster Road to Westmoor Road, including Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)-compliant crosswalks and upgraded pedestrian-crosswalk signals.
- Replacement of a culvert under Maple Road east of Norham Road
- Drainage improvements, storm sewer installation and new curbs/gutters in some locations.
- New traffic signs and pavement markings.
The contractor for the project is Dan’s Excavating of Shelby Township. For project information, visit: http://rcocweb.org/560/Maple-Road-Inkster-to-Franklin.
This section of Maple Road carries approximately 16,890 vehicles daily.