Thanks to a special, 2018 Independence Township voter-approved property millage, the Road Commission for Oakland County (RCOC), has successfully completed resurfacing of all 27.8 miles of heavier-traveled roads in the township.
Paving on the last section of the millage-funded projects, Maybee Road from Dixie Highway to Clintonville Road, was completed July 29. RCOC started the millage paving work in 2020.
“We greatly appreciate the partnership with the township to improve close to 28 miles of heavier-traveled roads in the community,” RCOC Managing Director Kolar said. “The millage dollars gave us the opportunity to work collectively with the township to resurface all the primary roads in the township,” he added.
RCOC provided design and inspection services for each road as a contribution to the effort. The township millage revenues covered the cost of contractor paving. Through the millage, the following roads were improved:
- Holcomb Road, Ellis Road to the Clarkston Village limits
- Maybee Road, Clintonville Road to Calpaldi Circle
- Maybee Road, Dixie Highway to Clintonville Road
- Clarkston Road, from the Clarkston Village limits to the township border
- Clarkston Road, Sashabaw Road to the Orion Township limits
- Flemings Lake/Walters Road, from Clarkston Road to Waldon Road
- North Eston Road, from Clarkston Road to the end of the pavement
- Pine Knob Road, from Clarkston Road to the end of the pavement
- White Lake Road, from Dixie Highway to Andersonville Road
- Andersonville Road, from Old White Lake Road to the township border
- Clintonville Road, from Maybee Road to the township border/Mann Road
- Clintonville Road, from Waldon Road to Clarkston Road
- Clintonville Road, from Maybee Road to Waldon Road
- Sashabaw Road, from Clarkston Road to Oakhill Road
- Sashabaw Road, from Maybee Road to the township border
- Waldon Road, from Clintonville Road to the village limits