The Road Commission for Oakland County (RCOC) today opened Pontiac Trail between Haggerty Road and Green Lake Road in West Bloomfield Township.
The road closed to through traffic April 18 for resurfacing. The project was completed almost one month ahead of schedule, thanks to aggressive work and close project partnership between RCOC staff and contractor DiPonio Contracting of Shelby Township.
The approximately $2.5 million project was 80 percent federally funded. The remaining cost was shared by RCOC, West Bloomfield Township and Oakland County general government (through the Tri-Party Program).
The 1.13-mile project included:
- Removal of existing Pontiac Trail pavement and replacement with 7.5 inches of asphalt.
- Extension of the Pontiac Trail center left-turn lane from Green Lake Road west to Parkridge Drive.
- Extension of the Green Lake Road southbound right-turn lane onto westbound Pontiac Trail.
- Spot curb and gutter replacements.
- Upgraded pedestrian crosswalks to comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).
- Improved merging of the right lane of eastbound Pontiac Trail just east of Haggerty Road.