The Road Commission for Oakland County (RCOC), in partnership with Independence and Orion townships, is hosting a public information meeting on Wednesday, March 16, about the planned 2023/2024 project to pave the gravel section of Waldon Road from Baldwin Road to Clintonville Road on the border of the two townships.
The meeting is from 4-7 p.m. in the 7th grade cafeteria of Sashabaw Middle School, 5565 Pine Knob Lane, in Independence Township. The cafeteria is located at the rear of the building, and participants should use door 11 to enter the school.
The meeting will be open-house format -- there will not be a formal presentation. RCOC staff will be present to answer questions throughout the meeting.
The approximately $11 million project is paid for through federal road funding and by RCOC, Independence Township, Orion Township and Oakland County general government (through the Tri-Party Program).
Construction and safety upgrades include:
- Paving this unpaved section of Waldon Road with asphalt, including six-to-eight-foot paved shoulders.
- Construction of a roundabout at the intersection of Waldon and Clintonville roads.
- Realigning the curves along Waldon Road on the Independence Township/Orion Township border to improve safety.
- Replacing three large culverts under the road.
- Constructing an eight-foot-wide pathway adjacent to the road from Montclair Drive to Baldwin Road.
- Realigning the stream west of Clintonville Road.
Utility relocation is expected to occur in the fall of 2022. Tree removal is expected to take place in the winter of 2023.
Construction is expected to start in 2023 and includes the removal of a peat bog under the road, the replacement of two culverts and the paving of the eastern half of Waldon Road. The remaining work, including the construction of the roundabout, will be done in 2024.
During the work, this section of Waldon Road will be closed to through traffic. Access to homes and businesses within the construction zone will be maintained. The road will re-open during the winter of 2023-24 and then close again when work resumes in the spring.
The project will conclude in late fall of 2024. This section of Waldon Road carries approximately 1,340 vehicles daily.
For more information on the project, visit the Waldon Road page in the “Road Projects” section of the RCOC website, www.rcocweb.org (direct link: http://rcocweb.org/625/Waldon-Road-Baldwin-to-Clintonville-Road).