The Road Commission for Oakland County (RCOC) continues to be a leader in traffic safety: Starting, today, Monday, Nov. 1, “mumble strips” will be placed on the centerline of approximately 26 miles of primary (heavier-traveled) roads in Oakland County.
The work will start on General Motors Boulevard, from Hickory Ridge Road to the Village of Milford limits in Milford Township; Wixom Road, from Glengary Road to the Village of Milford limits on the border of Milford and Commerce townships; and Milford Road from M-59 (Highland Road) to the Highland Township limits.
The mumble strips, which alert drivers when they cross the center line, are similar to the more-common rumble strips that have been used for a number of years. The mumble creates less noise outside the vehicle than rumble strips, providing a quieter existence for residents living along the roads.
Both create about the same noise level inside the vehicle, keeping the driver alert and improving safety.
The approximate $127,000 project is mostly funded through a federal safety grant.
During the work, the roads will remain open with flaggers directing traffic in the work zones. In addition to General Motors Boulevard and Wixom Road, work will be done on the following roads:
- Andersonville Road, from Davisburg Road to White Lake Road, Springfield Township
- Big Lake Road, Andersonville Road to Andersonville Road, Springfield Township
- Bogie Lake Road, from Cooley Lake Road to M-59 (Highland Road), White Lake Township
- Duck Lake Road, from Cooley Lake Road to M-59 (Highland Road), Highland Township
- Giddings Road, from Waldon Road to Silverbell Road, Orion Township
- Waldon Road, from Joslyn Road to Giddings Road, Orion Township
The roads were selected because the locations had shown a susceptibility to crashes resulting from vehicles crossing the center line.
The contractor for the project is Surface Transportation Technologies LLC of New Kingstown, Pennsylvania. The work is expected to be completed by Nov. 8.
For more information on rumble and mumble strips, visit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbYDOXAAj98