The Road Commission for Oakland County (RCOC) expects to close Avon Road from John R Road to 23 Mile Road and Dequindre Road from Hamlin Road to 23 Mile Road on the Rochester Hills and Shelby Township border starting Monday, Nov. 1, to replace the Avon Road bridge over the Clinton River and to replace the Avon/Dequindre intersection with a roundabout.
The demolition and reconstruction of the bridge is expected to start as soon as the road closes, while the roundabout at the Avon Road/Dequindre Road intersection is expected to start in March of 2022. The roads are expected to remain closed until August 2022.
Throughout the closure, access to businesses, homes and Yates Park will be maintained, though access to properties east of the bridge will be accessed from the east.
The detour for Avon Road through traffic is John R Road to Hamlin Road to Ryan Road to 23 Mile Road, back to Avon Road and vice versa. The detour for Dequindre Road traffic is Hamlin Road to Ryan Road to 23 Mile Road, back to Dequindre Road and vice versa.
The $8.7 million project is funded with federal, RCOC and Rochester Hills dollars. In addition to the removal and replacement of the bridge and the construction of the roundabout, the project includes:
- Reconstruction of a quarter mile of Avon Road, including milling and resurfacing between Cider Mill Boulevard and new roundabout.
- Replacement of curbs, gutters and guardrails.
- Stabilization of the Clinton River banks.
- Replacement of storm sewers, watermain and street lighting.
- Construction of a retention pond and placement of decorative concrete with aesthetic features.
- Installation of High-Intensity CrossWalk (HAWK) pedestrian signals at all legs of the roundabout.
- Updated pathways on both sides of this section of Avon Road.
This section of Avon Road carries approximately 17,300 vehicles daily. Dequindre Road north of Avon Road carries about 19,000 vehicles daily, while Dequindre south of Avon carries about 13,000 vehicles daily.
The contractor for the project is Z Contractors of Shelby Township.