The Road Commission for Oakland County (RCOC) expects to begin the second stage of concrete repairs at the Grand River Avenue/Novi Road intersection today, Monday, July 19.
The project is expected to be completed in early August.
The construction began in June, with the west side of the Grand River Avenue at Novi Road intersection starting at Crescent Boulevard. The west side of the intersection was closed during construction and will reopen today, Monday, July 19. Once the west side is open, the contractor will proceed with closing the east side of the intersection from Town Center Drive to Novi Road.
Stage 2 requires the closure of Grand River Avenue from Novi Road east to Town Center Drive. The detour route for Grand River traffic will be Town Center Drive to Crescent Boulevard, back to Grand River Avenue and vice versa. During this stage, Novi Road traffic will not be able to turn east onto Grand River Avenue.
The approximately $1.4 million project is 75 percent funded with federal dollar with the remaining cost paid by RCOC.
The project includes:
- Replacement of concrete on southbound Novi Road trough lanes and center left-turn lane between Main Street and the end of the concrete north of the intersection.
- Replacement of some curbs and gutters.
- Removal and replacement of two eastbound through lanes of Grand River Avenue from Crescent Boulevard (west of Novi Road) to the end of concrete east of Novi Road.
- Removal and replacement of Grand River Avenue center left-turn lane west of Novi Road.
- Removal and replacement of a select few concrete slabs in the westbound lanes of Grand River Avenue. All westbound lanes, expect the right-turn lane, will be replaced east of Novi Road.
- Traffic signal modification.
- Upgrading of pedestrian crosswalks to comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).
The Grand River Avenue/Novi Road intersection carries approximately 47,000 vehicles daily. The contractor for the project is Dilisio Contracting of Clinton Township.
For more information the Grand River Avenue/Novi Road intersection project, visit: http://rcocweb.org/419/Concrete-Slab-Replacement.