The Road Commission for Oakland County (RCOC) has opened the Maple Road and Middlebelt Road roundabout in West Bloomfield Township, which had been closed while the contractor completed the roundabout at the intersection.
The project, which also included the replacement of a culvert east of the intersection and raising the road elevation at the culvert to improve sight distance, started in September of 2019. The roundabout was opened for the winter, with work resuming in the spring. For this year’s work, Maple Road has been closed at Middlebelt.
“I thank the motorists and residents during this time for their patience as we finished this important improvement,” said RCOC Managing Director Dennis Kolar.
The approximately $6.6 million safety-improvement project was funded with a mix of federal and local dollars. Local funding was shared by RCOC, West Bloomfield Township and Oakland County general government through the Tri-Party Program. The project included:
- Construction of the roundabout at the Maple/Middlebelt intersection
- Drainage improvements
- Americans with Disability Act (ADA) compliant crosswalks with High-intensity Activated Cross-Walk beacon (HAWK) at the roundabout
- Water main replacements
- Culvert removal and replacement on Maple Road east of Middlebelt Road
- Behind the curb restoration
- Permanent street lighting
The Maple Road and Middlebelt Road intersection carries approximately 31,000 vehicles per day.
For more information on the Maple/Middlebelt Road roundabout and culvert replacement project, visit: