The Road Commission for Oakland County (RCOC) will spray patch approximately 60 lane miles of roads throughout the county starting July 11 on 12 Mile Road between Telegraph Road (US 24) and Orchard Lake Road in the communities of Southfield and Farmington Hills.
Spray patching involves cleaning out the potholes and filling them with aggregate mixed with emulsion. The material is pressure sprayed into the pothole by equipment used specifically for this process. The material then becomes compacted and bonded making for a longer-term fix of the road. The process can only be used on shallow potholes and cannot be used during the winter months.
“Last year, 35 lane miles of road were spray patched, and RCOC was pleased with the results,” RCOC Managing Director Dennis Kolar said. “While not suitable to all situations, this is another tool we can use to maintain our roads. The best option is to rebuild roads; however, insufficient infrastructure funding continues to be the major obstacle.”
During the spray patching operation, the roads will remain open, and flaggers will direct traffic. Roads scheduled for the spray patching include:
• 12 Mile Road west of Telegraph to Orchard Lake Road, Farmington Hills and Southfield
• Square Lake Road, Squirrel to Kenmoor, Bloomfield Township
• Elizabeth Lake Road, Cass Lake to Cooley Lake Road in Waterford Township
• Middlebelt Road, Long Lake to Pine Lake, West Bloomfield Township
• Sashabaw Road between Maybee and Waldon roads, Independence Township
• Sashabaw Road north of Walton to Meigs Avenue, Waterford and Independence townships
• Walton Road between Dixie Highway and City of Pontiac, Waterford Township
• Richardson Road from Green Lake to Haggerty, West Bloomfield Township
• Halsted between Pontiac Lake Trail and Walnut Lake Road, West Bloomfield Township
• Maple Road turn lane, I-75 and Chicago, Troy
• Westbound Maple Road, Bellingham Drive to Leafgreen Drive, Troy
• Maple Road, Castleton Drive to Dequindre, Troy
• Westbound I-696 Service Drive, I-75 to Helena Avenue, City of Royal Oak
The prime contractor for the work is Spray-Patch Road Repair Inc. of Madison Heights. The work is weather dependent and should be completed in November.