The Road Commission for Oakland County (RCOC) expects to close Maple Road at Middlebelt Road in West Bloomfield Township on Monday, April 27.
The closure had originally been scheduled for March 30; however, the start date was changed by the project contractor, Angelo Iafrate, of Warren. The closure is needed so the contractor can complete work on the roundabout that was partially constructed at the intersection last year.
Construction is now expected to be completed and Maple Road re-opened in late June; however, the opening date could change based on weather or other factors.
Middlebelt Road will remain while Maple Road is closed. However, motorists will not be able to turn from Middlebelt onto Maple.
The detour for Maple Road traffic will be Inkster Road to Walnut Lake Road to Orchard Lake Road and back to Maple Road and vice versa.
The following work remains to be completed this year on the Maple/Middlebelt roundabout:
- Concrete work on the center island
- Americans with Disabilities Act-compliant sidewalks and crosswalks
- Installation of High-intensity Activated crossWalK (HAWK) beacons at the pedestrian crossings
- Street lighting and restoration of behind-the-curb landscaping
- Finalizing curbs and gutters and drainage
As a reminder, RCOC has taken a number of steps to protect employees from coming into contact with people who may be infected with the coronavirus (COVID-19). This includes continuing to ask the public to contact the agency remotely and to refrain from talking with Road Commission workers and contractors in person, including when they are working on or near the roads.
Instead, anyone can contact RCOC through any of the following methods:
- Online at www.rcocweb.org
- By telephone at 877-858-4804 (Monday through Friday, 7:30 a.m.to 4:15 p.m.)
- Via e-mail at email@example.com
- Via fax at 248-338-0675
- Through the RCOC app available for free through the Apple and Google stores
The Maple/Middlebelt intersection carries approximately 33,000 vehicles per day.
For more information on the project, visit: https://www.rcocweb.org/479/MapleMiddlebelt-Road-Roundabout.