The Road Commission of Oakland County (RCOC) has opened the newly constructed Maple Road/Middlebelt Road roundabout in West Bloomfield Township. The intersection has been fully closed since Sept. 14.
The approximately $6.6 million project was funded by RCOC, West Bloomfield Township and Oakland County general government (through the Tri-Party Program). The project included:
- Removing a replacing a culvert just east of the Maple/Middlebelt intersection
- Construction of a roundabout at the Maple/Middlebelt intersection
- Asphalt paving
- Watermain replacements
- Improved drainage
- Upgraded pedestrian crosswalks to comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act (scheduled for 2020)
- Improved sidewalks (scheduled for 2020)
- New signage
- Public street lighting (work continues in 2020)
- Behind the curb restoration of grass (scheduled for 2020)
“We appreciate the patience of the public while safety improvements were made to the Maple/Middlebelt intersection,” RCOC Managing Director Dennis Kolar said. “West Bloomfield Township continues to be a tremendous partner as we continue to improve roads in the township.“
The contractor for the project is Angelo Iafrate of Warren.
The Maple Road and Middlebelt Road intersection carries approximately 31,000 vehicles per day.
Roundabout resources are available on the RCOC website at: http://www.rcocweb.org/374/Roundabouts
For more information on the Maple/Middlebelt Road roundabout and culvert replacement project, visit: https://www.rcocweb.org/479/MapleMiddlebelt-Road-Roundabout.