The Road Commission for Oakland County (RCOC) expects to begin construction on Sashabaw Road, from I-75 to just south of Clarkston Road in Independence Twp., on Monday, April 22.
Two-way traffic and access to businesses and homes will be maintained throughout the project.
The majority of the approximately $4.8 million-dollar project is funded by the township. The remainder is funded by RCOC and Oakland County general government (through the Tri-Party Program).
“We greatly appreciate Independence Township’s financial commitment to this project and their continued partnership to improve roads throughout the community,” RCOC Managing Director Dennis Kolar said. “Sashabaw Road is extremely congested in this area, and the improvements will help alleviate traffic backups while improving safety.”
The project includes:
- Reconstruction and widening Sashabaw Road to five lanes from I-75 to just south of Clarkston Road.
- The reconstructed road will include two through lanes in each direction as well as a continuous center left-turn lane and right-turn lanes where warranted
- Traffic signal modifications
- Installation of new water main leads
- Drainage improvements
- Installation of Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) compliant sidewalks and crosswalks
The project is intended to provide increased traffic capacity, improved safety and greater accessibility for pedestrians and other non-motorized users.
Last year, sanitary-sewer work and tree removal took place in anticipation of this year’s project. The project is expected to be completed in late fall.
The contractor for the project is Dan’s Excavating of Shelby Township.