The Road Commission for Oakland County (RCOC) expects to begin the widening and resurfacing of Maple Road from Drake Road to Halsted Road in West Bloomfield Township approximately April 2. Project start is weather-dependent and could change.
Contractor Dan’s Excavating, of Shelby Township, will close Maple Road for westbound through traffic on approximately Monday, April 2. The detour for westbound traffic is Hagerty Road to 14 Mile Road to Drake Road, back to Maple Road and vice versa. Eastbound Maple Road will remain open to through traffic.
Throughout the project, two-way traffic will be maintained on Maple Road from Drake Road to Ring Road for Henry Ford Hospital access. Additionally, business and residential access will be maintained throughout the project.
As part of the project, Halsted Road will close both north and south of Maple Road for intersection improvements and paving. The north leg will close first for two weeks in April, and the south leg will close for two weeks in June:
- North leg of the Halsted Road/Maple Road intersection will close approximately April 2 through April 16. The detour for southbound Halsted Road traffic is westbound Walnut Lake Road to southbound Haggerty Road to eastbound Maple Road and back to Halsted Road. The detour for northbound Halsted Road is eastbound Maple Road to northbound Drake Road to westbound Walnut Lake Road and back to Halsted Road.
- South leg of the Halsted/Maple Road intersection is expected to close approximately June 7 through June 21. The detour for southbound Halsted Road traffic is eastbound Maple Road to southbound Drake Road to westbound 14 Mile Road and back to Halsted. The detour northbound Halsted Road traffic is westbound 14 Mile Road to northbound Haggerty Road to eastbound Maple Road and back to Halsted Road.
Both closures are weather-dependent and could change.
The first phase of the project – Maple Road from Haggerty to Halsted—was completed in 2018.
The approximately $5.5 million project is funded with a mix of federal and local dollars. Local funding is shared by RCOC and West Bloomfield Township.
The project includes:
- Rehabilitation and resurfacing of Maple Road from Halsted Road to Drake RoadAddition of a continuous center left-turn lane
- Right-turn-lane extensions in several areas
- Paved-shoulder widenings
- Improved drainage
- Curb and gutter installation
- Culvert wing walls replacement
- Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) compliant pedestrian crosswalks
Maple Road carries approximately 23,000 vehicles daily and is expected to fully reopen to traffic in late July.