The Road Commission for Oakland County (RCOC) will host a public information meeting Tuesday, March 28, for the planned 2017 reconstruction of Orchard Lake Road between Northwestern Highway and Maple Road in West Bloomfield Township.
The public meeting is from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. in the cafeteria at Orchard Lake Middle School, 6000 Orchard Lake Road in West Bloomfield Township. The meeting will be an open-house format -- there will be no formal presentations. RCOC staff will be present to answer questions throughout the public meeting.
The approximately $7.2 million project is funded with a mix of federal and local dollars. Local funding is shared by RCOC and West Bloomfield Township. The project is expected to begin in June.
The project includes:
· Reconstruction of Orchard Lake Road from Northwestern Highway to Maple Road
· Current five-lane configuration will be reconfigured to a four-lane, concrete boulevard with a grassy median
· Elimination of service drive on the east side of Orchard Lake Road
· Construction of eight-foot-wide pedestrian paths along both sides
· Drainage improvements
· Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) compliant pedestrian crosswalks
During the project, Orchard Lake Road will remain open with one-lane in each direction and a continuous left-turn lane. Access to businesses will be maintained throughout the project. Powers Road will close for a short time (to be announced) at Orchard Lake Road during construction so the intersection can be realigned. During the closure, the detour for Powers Road traffic will be Daly Road to Maple Road to Orchard Lake Road and vice versa.
Orchard Lake Road reconstruction is part of the on-going Northwestern Connector Project that is intended to improve traffic flow at the point where Northwestern Highway ends at Orchard Lake Road. For more information on the Northwestern Connector Project, visit:
Northwestern Connector Project ( http://www.nwconnector.com/).