The Oakland County Federal Aid Committee, on Tuesday, Feb. 7, selected road projects to receive federal funding in 2020.
The Funding Committee is made up of 14 members, including two from the Road Commission for Oakland County (RCOC), one from the Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT), one from SMART (the suburban bus system) and 10 representing the 61 cities, villages and townships in the county. Projects were selected for 2020 funding through a majority vote.
Most of the projects selected are major resurfacing projects; one is a total reconstruction in West Bloomfield Township (Pontiac Trail from Green Lake Road to Arrowhead); and one is a gravel road paving project (to be identified at a later date by RCOC). The remaining projects entail resurfacing work on federal-aid-eligible roads in 13 communities throughout Oakland County.
“The Committee had a tough task selecting 2020 projects,” stated RCOC Managing Director Dennis Kolar. “$16.4 million in federal funding will be available in 2020, and requests totaling more than $72 million were received. We are pleased that federal aid is available to assist with the long list of needs throughout the county.”
RCOC has jurisdiction over 70 percent of the federal-aid-eligible roads in Oakland County. Roads submitted for funding are rated based on surface condition, traffic counts and safety concerns. Roads that receive the most points through the rating system receive the available dollars.
The federal funding covers 80 percent of the cost of the projects. The remaining 20 percent must come from local sources other than federal funds.
Editor's note: See attached list for selected road projects (highlighted in yellow).