Starting approximately April 24 and lasting approximately 35 days, Novi Road will be closed to through traffic from 9 Mile Road to 10 Mile Road in Novi so three culverts under the road can be removed and replaced.
The work is part of the ongoing Road Commission for Oakland County (RCOC) project, in partnership with the City of Novi, to resurface and make safety improvements on this portion of Novi Road. Also part of this project is the ongoing replacement of concrete at the Novi Road/10 Mile Road intersection, which will continue with ongoing lane restrictions.
Access to all properties within the project will be maintained throughout the project, including during the culvert-replacement phase. The first culvert to be removed and replaced is located between Nick Lidstrom Drive and Algonquin Drive/Little Falls Boulevard.
Once the culvert removal and replacements are complete, Novi Road will open to southbound traffic only (northbound will remain closed) until the project concludes in late fall while the resurfacing phase of the project takes place.
The Novi Road detour route, both during the full closure and during the northbound-only closure will be 10 Mile Road to Meadowbrook Road to 9 Mile Road, back to Novi Road and vice versa.
In addition to the culvert replacements and 10 Mile Road/Novi Road intersection concrete replacement, the project includes:
- Milling (grinding off) the existing asphalt road surface and resurfacing with three inches of asphalt.
- Improvements to drainage and storm sewers.
- Placement of concrete curbs and gutters.
- Upgrades to pedestrian crosswalks to comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).
- Upgrades to guardrails.
- Upgrades to traffic signals at the 9 Mile Road/Novi Road and Nick Lidstrom Drive/Novi Road intersections.
- Extension of the center left-turn lane on Novi Road from Nick Lidstrom Drive south to Little Falls Boulevard.
The project is expected to cost $4.1 million. It will be paid for with a combination of federal road dollars and funding from RCOC, Novi and Oakland County general government (through the Tri-Party Program).
The contractor for the project is Springline Excavating of Farmington Hills. This section of Novi Road carries approximately 18,500 vehicles daily.
For more information on the project, visit the “Novi Road, 9 Mile to 10 Mile” page in the “Road Projects” section of the RCOC website, www.rcocweb.org (direct link: https://www.rcocweb.org/622/Novi-Road-9-Mile-to-10-Mile-Road).