The Road Commission for Oakland County (RCOC), in partnership with the City of Novi, expects to begin the resurfacing and safety improvements on Novi Road from 9 Mile Road to 10 Mile Road starting Monday, March 20.
The project’s first phase, which will take from March 20 through approximately April 23, will involve replacing concrete at the Novi Road/10 Mile Road intersection. Multiple lanes will be closed at the intersection during the work, though both roads will remain open. Motorists should expect some delays during this phase.
Then, starting approximately April 24 and lasting approximately 35 days, Novi Road will be closed to through traffic from 9 Mile to 10 Mile Road so the contractor can remove and replace three culverts under the road.
Access to all property within the project will be maintained throughout the project, including during the culvert-replacement phase.
Once the culvert removal and replacements are complete, Novi Road will open to southbound traffic only (northbound will remain closed) until the project concludes in late fall while the resurfacing phase of the project takes place.
The Novi Road detour route, both during the full closure and during the northbound-only closure is 10 Mile Road to Meadowbrook Road to 9 Mile Road, back to Novi Road and vice versa.
The project includes:
- Grinding off (milling) the existing asphalt road surface and resurfacing with three inches of asphalt.
- Concrete removal and replacement at the Novi Road/10 Mile Road intersection.
- Removal and replacement of the three culverts under Novi Road.
- Improvements to drainage and storm sewers.
- Placement of concrete curbs and gutters.
- Upgrades to pedestrian crosswalks to comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).
- Upgrades to guardrails.
- Upgrades to traffic signals at the 9 Mile Road/Novi Road and Nick Lidstrom Drive/Novi Road intersections.
- Extension of the center left-turn lane on Novi Road from Nick Lidstrom Drive south to Little Falls Boulevard.
The project construction cost is expected to be $4.1 million. It will be paid for with a combination of federal road dollars and funding from RCOC, Novi and Oakland County general government (through the Tri-Party Program).
The contractor for the project is Springline Excavating of Farmington Hills. This section of Novi Road carries approximately 18,500 vehicles daily.
For more information on the project, visit the “Novi Road, 9 Mile to 10 Mile Road” page in the “Road Projects” section of the RCOC website, www.rcocweb.org (direct link: https://www.rcocweb.org/622/Novi-Road-9-Mile-to-10-Mile-Road).