Beverly Hills, MI – The Road Commission for Oakland County (RCOC), in partnership with the City of Wixom and Lyon Township, will host a public information meeting Tuesday, Dec. 6, about the planned construction on Grand River Avenue, from Napier Road to Wixom Road located on the border of both communities.
The meeting is from 4 p.m. until 7 p.m. at Wixom City Hall, 49045 Pontiac Trail, in Wixom. The meeting will be open-house format -- there will not be a formal presentation. RCOC staff will be present to answer questions throughout the meeting.
The approximate $4.9 million project will be paid for mostly with federal funds and with matching dollars from the RCOC, Wixom and Oakland County general government (through the Tri-Party Program).
The project includes:
- Pavement milling (grinding off old pavement) and repaving Grand River Avenue between 12 Mile Road and Wixom Road.
- Construction of a continuous center left-turn lane between Napier Road and 12 Mile Road and a mix of resurfacing and reconstruction of this section of Grand River Avenue.
- Improvements to drainage and installation of curbs and gutters.
- Road shoulder paving where appropriate.
- Upgrading pedestrian crosswalks to
- Modernization of the traffic signals at the Grand River/Napier and Grand River/12 Mile intersections.
Tree removal work is expected to take place this winter and be completed in the spring of 2023.
Construction is expected to start in the spring of 2023 and conclude in the late fall of 2023. During the work, Grand River Avenue will remain open to two-way traffic throughout the project.
Napier Road is expected to close at Grand River Avenue for intersection improvements. The date and duration for the closure will be announced. During the intersection closure, access to homes and businesses will be maintained. The detour for Napier Road traffic is Ten Mile Road to Beck Road to Grand River Avenue and vice versa.
Anyone wishing to attend the meeting who requires special accommodations in accordance with the provisions of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) or Title VI, including those requiring language assistance, should call RCOC at 248-645-2000 and ask to be directed to the RCOC Engineering Department to submit your request. The Road Commission will provide such services free of charge, with reasonable advanced notice.
For more information on the project, visit the Grand River Avenue, Napier to Wixom Road page in the “Road Projects” section of the RCOC website, www.rcocweb.org (direct link: https://www.rcocweb.org/657/Grand-River-Avenue-Napier-Road-to-Wixom-).