The Road Commission for Oakland County (RCOC) today (Saturday, Aug. 13) opened the newly constructed Avon Road/Dequindre Road roundabout and bridge over the Clinton River on the Rochester Hills and Shelby Township border.
The intersection has been closed since Nov. 1 for the roundabout construction as well for the replacement of the Avon Road bridge over the Clinton River, which is also complete. The $8.7 million project was funded with federal, RCOC and Rochester Hills dollars.
In addition to the removal and replacement of the bridge and the construction of the roundabout, the project included:
- Reconstruction of a quarter mile of Avon Road, including milling and resurfacing between Cider Mill Boulevard and the new roundabout.
- Replacement of curbs, gutters and guardrails.
- Stabilization of the Clinton River banks.
- Replacement of storm sewers, watermain and street lighting.
- Construction of a retention pond and placement of decorative concrete with aesthetic features.
- Installation of high-intensity crosswalk (HAWK) pedestrian signals at all legs of the roundabout.
- Updated pathways on both sides of this section of Avon Road.
A work zone camera captured the progress of the roundabout and bridge construction over the course of the project. The progress can be viewed by visiting the RCOC website (rcocweb.org). The link is in the “Popular Resources” section at the bottom of the homepage. The direct link to the camera is: https://share.earthcam.net/tJ90CoLmq7TzrY396Yd88JGMrxilf6jjn7ErxbJyk84!/dequindre_and_avon/roundabout_and_bridge/view_1.