The Road Commission for Oakland County (RCOC), in partnership with Orion Township and Auburn Hills, will host a public information meeting on Thursday, Sept. 21, about the planned 2024 reconstruction of Brown, Giddings and Silver Bell roads from Jamm Road to M-24.
The meeting is from 4 p.m. until 7 p.m. at the Orion Township Hall, 1335 Joslyn Road, Orion Township. The meeting will take place in the Dragon Community Room and will be open-house format -- there will be no formal presentations. RCOC staff will be present to answer questions throughout the meeting.
The approximately $18.1 million road construction project is funded with federal, state and private business dollars.
The project includes:
- 2.8 miles of pavement removal and replacement with asphalt.
- Curb and gutter replacement.
- Safety road widening on Brown Road between Jamm and Giddings roads to make the road consistently five lanes.
- Right-turn-lane enhancements on northbound Giddings Road at entrances to the GM plant, including a new traffic signal.
- New traffic signal at the Giddings Road/Silver Bell Road intersection.
- Side street and driveway approach reconstruction.
- New guardrails and signs.
Construction is expected to start in the spring of 2024 and conclude in the fall of 2024.
Access to businesses within the construction zone will be maintained during the work. Throughout the project, Brown, Giddings and Silver Bell roads will have one lane open in each direction, except for:
- Brown Road east of Giddings Road will completely close for several hundred feet during the first stage of work with a signed detour.
- Giddings Road north of Silver Bell Road will completely close for several hundred feet during the second stage of work with a signed detour.
Anyone wishing to attend the meeting who requires special accommodations in accordance with the provisions of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) or Title VI, including those requiring language assistance, should call RCOC at 248-645-2000 and ask to be directed to the Engineering Department to submit your request. The Road Commission will provide such services free of charge, with reasonable advanced notice.
For more information on the project, visit the Brown, Giddings, Silver Bell Roads page in the “Road Projects” section of the RCOC website, www.rcocweb.org (direct link: https://www.rcocweb.org/678/Brown-Giddings-and-Silver-Bell-roads).
For questions on the project, contact RCOC through any of the following methods: