The Road Commission for Oakland County (RCOC), in partnership with Orion Township, expects to close the Orion Road/Stoney Creek Road/Conklin Road intersection in the township for construction of a roundabout starting Monday, Aug. 7.
During construction, the intersection will be fully closed to traffic. The Orion Road detour is Adams Road to Silverbell Road to Lapeer Road (M-24) to Flint Street to Miller Road, back to Orion Road and vice versa. The Conklin Road detour will be Conklin Road to Miller Road to Orion Road and vice versa. Stoney Creek Road traffic will utilize Adams Road to Orion Road and vice versa.
The approximately $2 million safety improvement project is funded mostly with federal dollars with RCOC and Orion Township providing matching dollars. The reconfigured intersection will be safer for both vehicles and pedestrians and will improve traffic flow. The roundabout design was chosen because of the enhanced safety benefits it will provide.
The project includes:
- Construction of a modern roundabout at the Orion Road/Stoney Creek Road intersection. Conklin Road will intersect Orion Road at “T” intersection north of the roundabout.
- Improvements to storm sewers and drainage.
- Construction of Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)-compliant pedestrian crosswalks with pathway connections.
- Placement of new curbs and gutters.
- Installation of intersection lighting.
The contractor for the project is Pro-Line Asphalt of Washington Township.
The Orion Road/ Stoney Creek Road/Conklin Road intersection carries approximately 13,000 vehicles daily.
Project completion is expected in mid-November.
For more information about the project, visit the Orion/Stoney Creek/Conklin Roundabout page in the “Road Projects” section of the RCOC website, www.rcocweb.org (direct link: https://www.rcocweb.org/656/OrionStoney-CreekConklin-Road-Roundabout).
For questions on the project, contact RCOC through any of the following methods: