The Road Commission for Oakland County (RCOC) expects to begin its preservation overlay, or simple resurfacing, program tomorrow, April 19.
The first roads to be addressed are 9 Mile Road, Napier Road to Chubb Road in Lyon Township, and Napier Road, Eight Mile Road to Nine Mile Road on the Novi/Lyon Township border.
The nearly $11.4 million commitment will resurface more than 41 miles of roads. The preservation overlay program involves simple resurfacing with two inches of asphalt on roads that are in fair condition. The program provides a smooth, new road surface and extends the life of the road by five to 10 years.
The preservation overlay projects typically involve minimal milling of the road surface (grinding off the surface of sections of bad pavement) and applying the new asphalt. They usually are completed over about two weeks and the paving work is weather-dependent. During the work, one lane of the road is closed, and flaggers direct traffic.
Motorists can expect delays during the work. The contractors for the 2023 projects are Cadillac Asphalt of Farmington Hills and Ace-Saginaw Paving of Saginaw.
All preservation overlay projects are expected to be completed by fall. Residents and businesses can expect minor delays at subdivision and driveway entrances during the milling and paving operations.
Work is weather-dependent, and the schedule is subject to change. For more information on the Preservation Overlay work and locations, visit http://www.rcocweb.org/418/Preservation-Overlays.
Simple Resurfacing Projects (also known as Preservation Overlays) $ 11.4 million
(program bid as single contract – 41.25 miles)
- Wixom Road, south of Old Wixom to north of I-96 in Wixom
- Drahner Road, Sanders to M-24 in Oxford Twp.
- Novi Road, south of Twelve Mile to Grand River in Novi
- Napier Road, Eight Mile to Nine Mile on the Novi/Lyon Twp. border
- Nine Mile Road, Chubb to Napier in Lyon Twp.
- Eight Mile Road, Napier to Taft, Novi, Northville and Northville Twp.
- Martin Parkway/Martin Road, Pontiac Trail to Richardson in Commerce Twp.
- Davisburg Road, Eaton to Bridge Lake in Springfield Twp.
- Orion Road, Rochester Road to Flint St. in Rochester Hills, Oakland Twp. and Orion Twp.
- Belford Road, Holly Road to end of the pavement in Holly Twp.
- East Holly Road, Maple to Rood in Holly Twp. and the Village of Holly
- Twelve Mile Road, Northwestern Highway to Inkster in Southfield
- Thirteen Mile Road, Inkster to Telegraph in the Village of Franklin
- Middlebelt Road, I-696 to Maple in Farmington Hills and West Bloomfield Twp.
- Lansdowne Road, Williams Lake to Hatchery in Waterford Twp.
- Fourteen Mile Road, Walled Lake Dr. to Haggerty Road in Walled Lake/Novi and Commerce Twp.
- Holcomb Road, Davisburg to Ellis in Springfield Twp.
- Gunn Road, Rochester east to the end of the pavement, Oakland Twp.