The Road Commission for Oakland County (RCOC), in partnership with White Lake Township, will start the construction of roundabouts at the Elizabeth Lake Road/Teggerdine Road and Elizabeth Lake Road/Oxbow Lake Road intersections in White Lake Township on March 13.
The roundabouts will be built separately, and each intersection will be closed during construction. The Elizabeth Lake Road/Teggerdine Road roundabout will be constructed first, and that intersection is expected to be closed starting March 13. The roundabout is expected to open in early June.
The roundabout at the Elizabeth Lake Road/Oxbow Lake Road intersection will not start until after the school year is completed in mid-June.
The approximately $2.4 million safety-improvement project is funded by RCOC and White Lake Township.
Construction and safety upgrades include:
- Conversion of the three-way Elizabeth Lake Road/Teggerdine Road intersection, now controlled with stop signs, to a single-lane roundabout.
- Conversion of the three-way Elizabeth Lake Road/Oxbow Lake Road intersection, now controlled with stop signs, to a single-lane roundabout.
- Repaving roads in the vicinity of the roundabouts with asphalt.
- Installation of curbs and gutters, sidewalks, Americans with Disability Act (ADA)-compliant pedestrian crosswalks and street lighting at the roundabouts.
- Drainage improvements.
- Milling (grinding off the existing pavement) and repaving Elizabeth Lake Road between the roundabouts with the addition of four-foot paved road shoulders.
Access to homes and businesses within the construction zones will be maintained during the work. The detour for through traffic throughout the project will be Elizabeth Lake Road to Williams Lake Road to Pontiac Lake Road to Highland Road (M-59) to Bogie Lake Road to Cooley Lake Road to Oxbow Lake Road and vice versa.
The contractor for the project is Fonson Company of Brighton.
The construction will conclude in early September.
The Elizabeth Lake Road/Teggerdine Road intersection carries approximately 15,100 vehicles daily. The Elizabeth Lake Road/Oxbow Lake Road intersection carries approximately 15,500 vehicles daily.
For more information on the project, visit the Elizabeth Lake Road page in the “Road Projects” section of the RCOC website, www.rcocweb.org (direct link: http://rcocweb.org/619/Elizabeth-Lake-Road-Roundabouts-White-La).