November 22, 2022 6:00 AM
TEN MILE RD, MEADOWBROOK TO HAGGERTY IN NOVI, IS DELAYED BY CONTRACTOR UNTIL JAN. 2023
The previously announced Road Commission for Oakland County (RCOC) plans to close Ten Mile Road, from Meadowbrook Road to Haggerty Road in Novi, starting Dec. 6, have been delayed by the contractor until January of 2023.
The closure is needed to replace two culverts under the road. A new date for the closure is expected to be announced soon. The work is part of the Ten Mile Road, Meadowbrook Road to Haggerty Road, rehabilitation project that will continue in 2023.
The culverts under Ten Mile Road will be replaced one at a time. The contractor is expected to start work on the culvert that carries Bishop Creek (just west of Bethany Way) in January of 2023. The removal and replacement of the Ingersol Creek culvert, just west of Nilan Drive, will start after work on the Bishop Creek culvert is completed.
During the closure, access to homes will be maintained east and west of the culvert work.
The detour for through traffic during the closure is Novi Road to Grand River Avenue to Haggerty Road, back to Ten Mile Road and vice versa.
The culvert work is expected to be completed on approximately April 17 with road construction, including the closure of westbound Ten Mile Road, continuing through the fall of 2023.
The approximately $6.9 million rehabilitation project is funded mostly with federal dollars. The remaining funds are split between the City of Novi, RCOC and Oakland County general government through the Tri-Party Program.
In addition to the removal and replacement of the two culverts, the rehabilitation project includes:
• Milling (grinding off) the existing road surface, Meadowbrook to Haggerty, and repaving with asphalt
• Implementing safety improvements including a continuous center left-turn lane, adding and extending selected right-turn and deceleration lanes and widening road shoulders
• Upgrading pedestrian crosswalks to comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
• Repairing and replacing curbs and gutters
• Adding an eight-foot-wide sidewalk along the south side of this section of Ten Mile Road
• Upgrading the traffic signals at 10 Mile/Meadowbrook and 10 Mile/Cranbrook intersections
• Upgrading watermains that will be done by the City of Novi
Pavement repairs at the Ten Mile Road/Haggerty Road intersection were completed last month.
The contractor for the work is Toebe Construction of Wixom. This section of Ten Mile Road carries approximately 16,000 vehicles daily.
For more information on the project, visit the Ten Mile Road, Haggerty to Meadowbrook, project page in the “Road Projects” section of the RCOC website, www.rcocweb.org (direct link: https://www.rcocweb.org/613/Ten-Mile-Road-Meadowbrook-to-Haggerty-Ro).
For questions on the project, contact RCOC through any of the following methods:
• Online at www.rcocweb.org
• By telephone at 877-858-4808 (Monday through Friday, 7:30 a.m. to 4:15 p.m.)
• Via e-mail at email@example.com