March 11, 2022 8:31 AM
ORCHARD LAKE ROAD RESURFACING/RECONSTRUCTION, 13 MILE TO 14 MILE, TO START WEEK OF MARCH 21
The Road Commission for Oakland County, in partnership with the City of Farmington Hills, will begin the project to resurface and partially reconstruct Orchard Lake Road, from 13 Mile Road to 14 Mile Road, during the week of March 21.
Once the project starts, this section of Orchard Lake Road will be open for southbound traffic but will be closed for northbound traffic. During most of the project, two southbound lanes will remain open, but there will be times when southbound is reduced to one lane. The detour route for northbound traffic will be 13 Mile Road to Northwestern Highway and back to Orchard Lake Road.
The project will include:
• Removal and replacement of the pavement, curbs and gutters from 13 Mile Road to Hunters Lane. The road will be repaved with eight inches of asphalt.
• From Hunters Lane to south of Rexwood Street, the road will be reconstructed as a narrow, four-lane boulevard to improve safety. This section will be constructed with 10 inches of concrete.
• A roundabout will be constructed at the Orchard Lake Plaza driveway.
• From south of Rexwood Street to 14 Mile, the center left-turn lane will be removed and replaced with a center median.
• There will be minor drainage improvements and pedestrian crosswalks will be upgraded to comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).
The project construction cost is expected to be $7.3 million. It will be paid for with a combination of federal road dollars and funding from RCOC, Farmington Hills and Oakland County general government (through the Tri-Party Program).
The project is expected to be completed in November. The contractor for the project is M.L. Chartier of Ida, MI.
For more information on the project, visit the Orchard Lake Road page in the “Road Projects” section of the RCOC website, www.rcocweb.org (direct link: http://rcocweb.org/626/Orchard-Lake-Road-13-Mile-to-14-Mile-Roa).