Waldon Road, Baldwin to Clintonville Road
PROJECT LIMITS: Baldwin Road to Clintonville Road
COMMUNITIES: Independence Township and Orion Township
DATE: Wednesday, March 16, 2022
TIME: 4:00 pm - 7:00 pm
LOCATION: Sashabaw Middle School Cafeteria, 5565 Pine Knob Lane, Independence Township, MI 48346 (the cafeteria in the back back of the building and participants will need to use door 11 for entrance into the school).
MEETING INFORMATION: No formal presentation. RCOC staff will be available to review and discuss plans with participants.
The $14.7 million project is funded by federal dollars, RCOC, Independence Township, Orion Township and Oakland County general government (through the Tri-Party program).
The 1.75-mile project includes:
- Paving this unpaved section of Waldon Road with asphalt, including six-to-eight-foot paved shoulders.
- Construction of a roundabout at the Waldon Road/Clintonville Road intersection (expected in 2024).
- Realign curves on Waldon Road to enhance safety.
- Replace three large culverts under the road (two culverts will be removed and replaced in 2023; a third culvert will be removed and replaced in 2024).
- Construct an eight-foot wide pathway adjacent to the road between Montclair Drive and Baldwin Road.
- Stream improvements (expected in 2024).
- Tree removals (expected to start 3/1/23).
- Utility relocation.
- Removal of a peat bog under the road (scheduled for 2023).
PHASE I (2023) CONSTRUCTION TIMELINE/CONTRACTOR/DETOUR:
START DATE: June 16
EXPECTED COMPLETION: Mid-November
CONTRACTOR: Dan's Excavating
CONTRACTOR WEBSITE: https://www.dansexc.com/index.html
Phase I includes the removal of a peat bog under the road, the replacement of two culverts and paving the eastern half of Waldon Road.
ROAD CLOSURE: Yes, access to homes and businesses will be maintained at all times. Starting September 5, 2023, access to Montclair Drive and the Oakhurst subdivision will be available by using Clintonville Road. Waldon Road from east of Montcalm Drive to east of Sashabaw Creek will fully close for the excavation of peat (bad soils) and installation of a culvert at Sashabaw Creek. The work will last through early October.
DETOUR: Baldwin Road to Maybee Road to Clintonville Road, back to Waldon Road and vice versa.
PHASE 2 (2024) CONSTRUCTION/TIMELINE/CONTRACTOR/DETOUR:
START DATE: To Be Announced (TBA)
EXPECTED COMPLETION: TBA
Phase 2 construction includes paving the western half of Baldwin Road, construction of a roundabout at the Waldon Road/Clintonville Road intersection, replacement of the third culvert and stream relocation.
ROAD CLOSURE: Yes, access to homes and businesses will be maintained at all times.